Wednesday, February 20, 2008

This is how I would sum up the Instructor Development Course...

Freezing in my wetsuit
Peeing in my wetsuit
Freezing even more in my wetsuit
Rinse and Repeat

(Rinse REALLY well)

IDC started on Tuesday of last week. We had orientation (not bad), the EFR Instructor Course (not bad) and then the Assistant Instructor Course started ( OH MY GOD! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS AND WHY WASN'T I WARNED ABOUT IT?)

Four hours in the pool in the morning, an hour to shower and eat, and between 6 and to 10 hours of class in the evening, plus homework. I have spent more money on coffee than I have on food. It's been insane and a ton of fun.

I have found that a lot of the instruction that I got at Neptune's has really prepared me for what I am doing in the IDC. I have gotten 3 perfect scores out of four presentations in the classroom and I have gotten three perfect scores out of six in the skills presentations in the water. You can definitely see the difference between the interns that have been here for months versus the students that just came in the for the IDC. We are kicking ass.

I have actually been so busy that I don't think about Loren every second of the day. I have his picture in my workbook so I can look at him and every time something good or bad happens, I can't wait to tell him when we talk at night. I am so exhausted that I fall asleep as soon as my head touches the pillow. IDC is definitely help me not be so sad all the time.

We had a couple of people come to Manzanillo just to do IDC. JT, who is Belgian, and Mario, who is Swiss. These guys are some of the sweetest and nicest guys that I have met. English is their second language and they work really hard to do all of their presentations in English. They make me laugh and keep me company and make sure that I eat! It's nice to have someone to check on me when I am shivering in the cold water or give me hugs when I am tired or sad. I don't think I would have made it through this endurance test without Loren for support if it hadn't have been for my two guys. One of the reasons that I came here was to make lifelong friends with people from all over the world and I think I have accomplished that with these two. :)

So now all of our instructor presentations are over for the Open Water Instructor certification and tomorrow we have some more casual presentations for our Specialty Instructor rating. We'll have our practice exams tomorrow afternoon and have Friday morning off. Friday afternoon, the Instructor Examiner from PADI shows up and the IE starts that night with exams.

I am feeling really confident right now and happy.

PLUSSSSSS, LOREN COMES HOME ON SATURDAY!! I can't wait to see my babyluv and give him hugs and kisses and everything nice. It will be wonderful to have him home again and just before the end of the IE so he will be here to congratulate me in person if everything goes according to plan.

Time to go prepare my specialty presentation (Fish ID...fun!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home