Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Million Dollar Idea?

I think I mentioned here last week that I had an asthma attack when I was scuba diving 80 feet underwater off of Catalina Island. I realized what was happening in time to ascend safely and get my inhaler.

I have since been doing research on asthmatic scuba divers. There has to be more than one, right? What I found was a bunch of doctors saying that it is probably not a good idea for asthmatics to scuba dive. Apparently, if our bronchial tubes close off and there is air trapped in our lungs, they will explode as we ascend and the air expands.

I never thought of that.

I have an idea though. Why not make an inhaler that can be used underwater? Not for the diver to use and keep diving with but an insurance policy so that the diver could safely ascend. I have no idea how something like this would work. There should be something though. It would open up a whole new world to a lot of people.

Any ideas?

This doesn't mean that I am going to stop diving. I went on Sunday with no problems. I figure if I am meant to go because of an underwater attack, so be it. I would love to be able to help other people discover and enjoy diving though!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My daughter has asthma, and her doctor advised her to use her inhaler prior to anything athletic. Kind of like a prophylactic. It will keep her from having an attack when she is in the middle of a dance number. I am thinking that might be something I would want to do before going underwater. It just sounds scary to be under water and have your airway close up.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home