Friday, July 02, 2004

Oh, look! A chicken!

I went to my shrink last night to see about medication for my depression. We did the normal evaluation thing, talking about my good days and bad days. When we were done, he leaned and rested his chin on his templed fingers.

" You have a complicated diagnosis," he said. "Obviously, there is the depression. Then you have your high days, which makes one look a bi-polar disorder. But your mood instability, lack of focus, childhood history of poor grades even though you are intelligent makes me think that you have ADD."

I have ADD. It makes sense to me, especially since I started reading the book Driven to Distraction that the doc prescribed. It is a relief to know that I am not a ditz, an airhead, lazy, whatever other names I have been called over my lifetime. I am just wired differently. It's funny because I call myself "Dory" after the forgetful fish in Finding Nemo.

There is a shirt that I have seen that says:

My doctor says I have A.D...oh, look! A chicken!

That's me in a nutshell. Next week, we will start medication. I am looking forward to being able to focus more at work. I am sure that my boss' will be looking forward to it too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mensch71 said...

B'gawk! I swear, I am going to buy that shirt (or a bumper sticker) for at least three people I know...

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home