Friday, October 08, 2004

**bored**

Not in a bad way though. This office is SO laid back compared to anywhere I have worked before. I bet I could bust out a book and no one would think twice.

I downloaded the Itunes player and have been concentrating on uploading all my CD's. Fun.

I am getting to do something here that I am very excited about. One of the journeymen got cancer (not excited about that) and actually had to have his entire arm amputated. No shoulder, nothing to hold a prosthesis on. It was a terrible tragedy for him and his family. The amputation only happened three weeks ago and I am sure that they are all reeling and wondering about the future because he is permanently disabled now. My boss asked me if I knew how to plan a fundraiser. Since I spent my entire adolescence as a Job's Daughter, I have EXTENSIVE knowledge of fundraisers. Couple that with my event planning skills and you have a girl who wants to throw the HUMDINGER of fundraisers.

BAG was all hopped up on doing a bake sale. Greatest idea in the world if you ask her. Ask me and I will tell you that bake sales are a lot of work for not a lot of money. I was thinking along the lines of a raffle, then I came up with this.

BEACONS OF HOPE.

In my old neighborhood, every Christmas Eve all of the houses would line the sidewalks and driveways with luminarias ( which are white paper bags with sand in the bottom and a votive candle in the sand). The carolers would come out and Santa would get driven around in a golf cart. It was very cozy, festive, and fun.

I thought for the fundraiser, we could (with the help of the family's church) assemble luminaria kits. With 12 bags and candles, some sand, and the story of the family's plight, all wrapped up in a nice package. Kids at the church could decorate the bags. I am sure that we could get the supplies donated. Then we sell the kits to our vendors, clients, friends for $10 a piece. We tell everyone in his neighborhood and town what we are doing and who we are doing it for and ask them to line their streets on Christmas Eve. I think it will inspire a community spirit and the family will be able to drive through their town and see all the support. And all the proceeds from the sales would go to the family to make sure that they have a good holiday!

And I told BAG that we could still do the bake sale. I like to bake. And we can sell the kits there too! :)

Does it sound like a good idea?

2 Comments:

Blogger GreenTuna said...

I think the luminarias sound like an AWESOME idea. Way to go!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Mensch71 said...

Can I buy a set? What a great idea! *sniff*

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home