Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Sunday at the Faire

Meg and I headed out to Irwindale, CA for the last day of the Renaissance Faire. It was in a new location this year (meaning, of course, that we got lost), the Santa Fe Dam Rec Area, which was a vast improvement from last year. After we figured out where we were going, I realized that this was the area where I lived from when I was a baby until my mom married my dad when I was five. My bio father used to have him company picnics at the Santa Fe Dam, so the whole day was kind of nostalgic.

Meg had been to a couple of smaller Ren Faires before but I don’t think she was quite prepared for the depraved debauchery that is EXTREMELY prevalent among the Faire folk. This was evidenced by the look of horror on her face when one of the old men tried to "poke the dots" on her polka dot jumper. I had to keep telling her to relax and just play along. It’s all just harmless fun and I ALWAYS have tons of fun. I was making friends left and right. We got lots of hugs and had pirates kissing our hands (and whipping our bottoms! *sigh* I love the Faire…)

Things felt a little different this year. I don’t know if it was because it was the last day, a new location, or if it was because I am used to going with my group from high school. My friends from school actually worked at the Faire, so they definitely embraced the whole experience. That always made it so much more fun. Halfway through the day, Meg wanted to go home. I kind of had to force her to stay so I could see my favorite shows, Broon and Moonie. I think though, that all in all, we had a good time.

It was a bittersweet day for me because it reminded me of a good friendship that has been lost and set me on a path that moves me away from someone I was. There is no one in my life that recognizes that girl anymore and it stings a little bit to leave her behind.

Such is life, no?

On the bright side, I did run into some members of my old group from high school, Dave and Mike, when we stopped in my hometown for food. I haven’t seen them since Faire last year and it was cool to talk to them. Funny how old friends can soothe the soul! They definitely chased away any blue feelings I was having.

All in all, a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home